It’s been a while since Pokenet, a very promising new pokemon mmorpg, got shut down. But they didn’t leave us empty handed. They gave the source code of their game away so that anyone who wanted to could use and adapt it the way they wanted to. This is how Pokemonium was born. The developers of Pokemonium have taken the source code of Pokenet and have been developing it to provide an even better online pokemon experience!
The game is still in development but beta versions are released over time and are free to download and play. Beware though that beta means you might encounter bugs during your playtime, so be sure to use their community forums for help when something goes wrong. You should also know that any progress you make in the game during beta will be wiped when the game is released. All characters and accounts will be wiped at the final launch of Pokemonium.
More than a year ago Pokénet was closed by Nintendo, but it’s code is still available for anyone to edit. And a new team of developers has picked up the code and is now developing and changing the Pokénet code from where the old team left off. This Project is called Pocket-monsuta and is available on http://pocket-monsuta.sourceforge.net/.
The same team of developers has made guides to help you set up your own pokénet server. If you’d like to host your own server, you should look at this post : http://forum.ragezone.com/f706/guide-pokenet-server-setup-760965/
If you successfully set up your own Pokénet server, you might also want to get friends to join you on your server, so you can play together! How this can be done is explained here: http://forum.ragezone.com/f706/guide-getting-players-server-762218/
If everything worked out, then you have a working Pokénet server to play on together with your friends. But if you don’t know how to program Pokénet, then you won’t be able to change the looks of your Pokénet game. But there is a way to change your game images, sizes, positions, links, etc. Without having to edit the source code of the game. If you would like to do this then you should read this :http://forum.ragezone.com/f705/release-open-source-pokenet-laucnher-762098/
I know a lot of people loved Pokénet just like I did! I hope this helps you to relive your Pokénet experience, and even to improve it!
PS: I might post about another Pokénet based project soon!
Pokenet is just released after 6 months of development. It features all of Jotho, intense battling and stunning visual effects. This 2D pokemon game is free to download and play! Enjoy!
download: client http://pokedev.org/game/beta.jnlp
Update: Pokénet was shut down by Nintendo. Learn how to set up your own Pokénet server or how to join a friends server here.
Click here to see a list of active games
Pokenet was an open-source, free, non-profit Pokemon MMORPG. Previous known as Pokemon Online Revolution and Pokemon Global.
Here are some of the features that Pokenet offered:
- 481 Pokemon
- 7 Regions: Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Orange Islands, Orre and Holon
- 4 Skills: Fishing, breeding, herbalism and crafting
- Teams (=clans)
Pokemon Global is a popular fan-made MMORPG. It has been in development since 2006, but their current version 0.5 is their final version, because they are currently working on a mix of their game and Pokemon Online Revolution. This game is called Pokenet. When Pokenet is released it will replace the current Pokemon Global 0.5.
Pokemon Global 0.5 features:
- Sixteen starters from four different regions
- Part of the Johto region, stretching from New Bark Town to
- Route 31
- Money system which can be used to purchase PokeBalls
- Pokemon storage system
- Fullscreen mode
- Catching wild Pokemon in routes
- Battling Pokemon for experience and money
- Ability to level up, evolve and learn moves
- Chat system
- battle system, based on Shoddy Battle engine (though not all
- details such as EVs, stats, and natures
- The ability to enter buildings and caves
- Trainer NPCs challenge you to a battle if you walk into their range
- Background music for the start screen, battles and maps
- jumping down ledges
- badges are being listed in your Pokegear
- Swimming on water by pressing shift
- Badge checks: You need a minimum amount of gym badges to enter certain places
- Fleeing mechanics: If your Pokemon is not much faster than the wild Pokemon, fleeing from wild battles won’t work all the time
- Most moves and Pokemon
Update: This game is now released under another name: https://pokemmo.wordpress.com/2011/07/25/pokemon-cyrus-online-3/